Sunday, September 13, 2009

Another Day in the Restaurant

So last night was another glorious work experience...

The night started out with my coworker claiming that I wasn't doing enough side work ( I won't even get into that). Towards the middle of the night, as we reach our busy peak, I have a trouble table. An "8 top" or party or eight people, comes in and sits at 2 separate tables right across from each other, but in 2 different sections. When I talked to the hostess, she said they didn't have a large table available for them so they were siting separately. Since I had just been double sat, Iwona, who had the other 1/2 of the group in her section was going to take both tables.

Keep in mind that we charge 18% Gratuity for parties of 6 or more (even if the aren't all at the same table)

Well it became apparent that one lady at the table was kind of in charge and calling the shots. After Iwona talked to her, she found out that the lady had chosen to sit at 2 separate tables so they wouldn't have to pay the gratuity. She assured Iwona that one person at the other table would be paying that bill and she would be paying the bill at her table....( Almost like they were 2 separate tables that didn't even know each other) Soooo anyways, I wind up having to take her table since they were choosing to eat separately. It took me a while to actually get over to the table for their order because I was already so busy.

As I talk to Iwona throughout the service of these tables, she informs me that no one at her table could even speak English, and that she had to come to my table to get their order from the "Lady in charge." She had to do this all night if the table needed anything. Also at the end of the night, this lady had Iwona bring the table's check to her (and paid with the same card she used for the bill I dropped for her table)...

Iwona and I were both pissed that this lady had the balls to lie to us about them being 2 separate tables with 2 separate checks, when she herself handled everything....

As I returned her sales slip to her before she left, I told her (as politely as I could manage) that next time, even if her family sits on 2 opposite sides of the dinning room...she WOULD be paying the 18 % gratuity, and it was not negotiable!

She left each of us servers a $5 tip (10 total at her expense) her 2 checks together came to about $90!!

Some people are so fucking cheap!!

We don't charge that gratuity just for shits and giggles, its there because as the number of a party increases, the difficulty of serving them goes up also.

After work, I completely crashed.

It's so mentally exhausting kissing ass all night, that the only peace I get is in my sleep. And that's not always safe either. I have work nightmares sometimes too... Yikes!

Is there no escape?

Parents please teach your kids restaurant etiquette while they're young.

And YES 18% is what you should be tipping your server if the service is good.
20% for excellent service, 15% for not so good service, and never less than 10% for terrible service. These percentages are backed up by CNN Money Talk, and can be found on their website.

Also, please keep in mind that Good service from your server is different than kitchen problems.

Try to decipher weather any problems you had during your dining experience were because of your server or if it was something out of their hands (kitchen problems include misscooked food or lengthiness of food cook time) If a server shows good service in spite of these mishaps, their tip should not be affected.

Everyone does deserve good service though, so don't be affriad to have expectations of your server.

That's all for my Restaurant class for today. Tune in next time to see what else I'm bitching about...lol

No comments:

Post a Comment