Monday, December 15, 2008

Alive in Sequoia

Well I made safely to Sequoia. It started snowing last night and hasn't stopped. I can no longer see my car. It just looks like a giant pile of snow. lol. Some of you may know already that the cabin I'm supposed to move into isn't ready for me yet. So I am staying in one of the cabin rooms at the lodge. Its nice because the cabins us employees stay in aren't exactly the Ritz! :D The bathrooms/showers are in a separate cabin about 200 yrds away from my room. Which is a long way to go when there's 5 feet of snow on the ground! They're small rooms with 2 mattresses on the floor and a small heating unit. It's cheap carpeting that looks like it was just thrown down instead of actually being installed. And the walls in my room are a very ugly dark blue. But who's complaining...? lol. The Lodge itself is nice. It has an old fashioned wood burning stove in the Lobby as well as a small gift shop. Also there is a small restaurant and lounge attached (where I'll be working). On the lower floor of the Lodge is a small shop that has snow gear and ski equipment and serves as a makeshift market. You can purchase snacks and drinks there as well as some other necessities. There are three cabins where the guests stay located about 400 yrds away from the main Lodge (where I am staying tempararilly until my room is available).
Employee housing is on the opposite side of the lodge. The staff during the winter here is very small. I believe there is only 30 employees or so. Which is nice, because its easier to make friends that way. So far everyone I've met has been real nice and friendly. However there's not a whole lot to do up here especially when it's snowing as hard as it is. I don't get any kind of service on my cell phone up here. And If I want to use the internet, I need to take my computer to the main lodge. That Is why I decided to start blogging. So everyone can check in on me and see whats new, without me having to e-mail 50 different people. I will be getting a PO Box as soon as I can dig my car out of the snow to get there. I'll let ya'll know what my address is as soon as I get one. I will try to update my log every other day or so.
Until next time, Happy holidays!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Now you are a blogger! I added you to my friends list, so I can just check in on you with one click. Hope you get settled ina dn can dig your car out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience! I will be looking for a car cover (for what its worth) even with all the snow it should help somewhat.
    Love ya, Mom
    (and its ok to say Merry Christmas)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw on the news that you can get carbon monoxide poisoning if you don't clear the snow from your tail pipe, so be careful. Wow. Do I sound like mom or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connieeeeeeeeee, I miss you. Hope you're not being worked to hard. Don't let them take advantage of your good nature.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete